While the holidays are intended to be a joyful time of year, they can be especially difficult for those individuals who have been on the job market for too long. While some people say that it is difficult if not impossible to find a job in the month of December, this is simply not true. Here are a few tips and tricks to finding employment during the holidays.
- Part time or temporary work. It is important to be flexible. Use this time of year to pick up some additional income by accepting temporary assignments or part time work. Retailers are always looking for people to help during the holidays. Also, your local staffing service probably has needs for vacation coverage or end of the year projects for their clients. You may even be requested back or considered for a full time job with the company.
- Volunteering. If you are not able to find a paying position this season, consider donating your time to work with a local organization that can use some additional help. You never know what kind of connections you can make by volunteering in your community and you will feel great about what you can contribute.
- Networking. Speaking of networking, this is a great time of year to piggy back on holiday events happening around your town. Look to see if organizations are having special holiday networking events. Make sure to have your cards ready when you meet new people in line at the mall or at the local bar. Everyone is feeling social this time of year so take advantage of it.
- Send holiday cards. Pull out your contact list, rolodex, or the piles of cards you have over years of attending events. Now is the perfect time to get your name in front of people by sending out holiday cards. If you’re feeling brave, include your business card inside.
- Spend time on yourself. Never feel bad about taking time away from your job search to rest, relax, and rejuvenate. The holidays can be a stressful time, even for those who have jobs, so stepping away from the search and concentrating on your family or yourself is a great idea. Make cookies with your kids, sip hot cocoa by your tree, or go for a walk in the snow to see the pretty lights in your neighborhood.
Are you ready to get moving this holiday season and find your next job? If you are looking for jobs in Tampa Bay FL, contact us today.